Monday, March 22, 2010

Gimpy to Wimpy to Snapper 2010!


The last few months have been quite intense and the new competitive year crept up quicker than I expected.
With exciting things like moving house, dealing with contracts, university exams, doing tax, Christmas/New Year and a knee injury from pulling into a wave in Maui way too late, smashing my whole body on my board, resulting in eight weeks out of the water and a medial tear later. Crunch, crunch The Roxy Pro was walking up the drive way about to knock on the door.

I spent much of the eight weeks talking to my knee every day (yes my knee) willing it to get better before the first day of the Roxy Pro started on the 27th of February. One week before the contest commenced I got the OK to surf from my physio and I couldn't get out there quick enough! Well actually I couldn't get out there quickly at all because I had spent eight weeks out of action (admittedly I was doing other training but no training is better for surfing than surfing itself) and was completely wimpy as some of my friends were referring to me.
After a week of surfing my muscles were slowly reviving themselves and after seriously thinking about pulling out of the event due to the knee pain and poor preparation, something just clicked inside and I thought I should go for it... the reason being if Snapper is pumping i will never forgive myself if i pull out and watch perfect flawless Snapper Rocks with two people out. Such an opportunity only presents itself rarely and i was not going to miss it!

ROXY PRO BREAKDOWN
Where: Gold Coast Australia
When: Feb-March Summer time!!!
Where to eat: Bellakai restaurant, Greenmount.
Where to go out: Numerous event parties and The Cooly Hotel.

The Contest:
Making it through my round one heat with a fair bit of hustle and bustle between Claire Bevo, Coco Ho and myself was nice as you avoid round two which is always pressure plus.
I then made it through my round three heat which can be seen here: http://www.roxypro.com.au/heats.aspx#/147/237/
It was a closely contested and exciting heat. Snapper lived up to it's expectation. I was so happy to be given the opportunity to surf out at Snapper with one other person... being Paige Hareb and even happier with my decision to compete on my knee.
I then came up against Steph 'magic 3' Gilmore in Quarter final number two. Somehow managing to over commit myself on waves when it really wasn't necessary and not finding a score in the messy conditions. Steph managed to put two average scores down then went on to win the whole event and full respect must be given to her as she is an amazing competitor!
At least I can say the winner took me out huh! Next week is Bells Beach Australia for stop number two.

No comments:

Post a Comment